.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

CommaKazi Speek

A blog (weblog) containing harsh realities, bitter truths and other reasons to smile

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

First Stop: The Accreditation Exam

Think of me at 8 a.m. Sunday, June 26 as you prepare to leave for the IABC International Conference. Actually, pray for me if you're of a spiritual persuasion (as I am)--because I'll be starting the IABC Accreditation Exam. Not that I need supernatural intervention; I'm just hedging my bet.

If you've come to expect to see those "ABC" initials following the names of IABC conference and seminar speakers--but haven't thought of pursuing accreditation yourself--consider this an invitation to join the accreditation party. My invitation came via a colleague in the Chicago Chapter of IABC, who told me about a wonderful mentoring program there for accreditation candidates. I joined a small group of candidates and accredited professionals, who shared experience, strength and hope as we completed our professional portfolios and prepared for the exam.

Unlike other professional certification and accreditation programs of which I'm familiar, the IABC accreditation exam is not "pass/fail." It has four sections, and offers the opportunity to re-take any section that a candidate doesn't pass on the first try. I'm taking that opportunity at the International Conference. (Doesn't that sound nicer than, "I didn't pass the entire exam on the first try"?)

Many people need to re-take one or more sections of the exam, according to my IABC accreditation mentors (hello, Joanne and Mary). Their encouragement is one of many examples of how the mentoring process benefits accreditation candidates. I've already volunteered to help the next group of Chicago Chapter accreditation candidates. Of course, I want to be an ABC when I offer my advice to them!

I already can rattle off several personal and professional rewards that have come from my work on accreditation. If you want more encouragement, send me an email or find me at the International Conference--after the exam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home